Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Another stage at Bouchon, and a late-night rendezvous at RM Seafood

Today I went back to Bouchon bistro, Thomas Keller's only restaurant in Las Vegas, to stage again. It was definitely an educational experience, and they asked if I wanted to stage again next week, so of course I said yes.

After my stage, I had a strange urge for seafood. My boyfriend hated seafood, but he said that he would try it (reluctantly) only if we went to Rick Moonen's restaurant here in town. (He became a fan after seeing chef Moonen on Top Chef Masters.) He had never before agreed to try it, even when I offered to buy it and cook it for him, he's a pretty stubborn guy.

So I decided that I would take him up on that offer, and to get there in time, we literally ran through Mandalay Bay to the restaurant. (The place is HUGE!)

He's now a convert. I love seeing the wide eyed look of wonder as people discover a new flavor, and he had that look on his face all night.

I didn't have my new fancy camera on me (I didn't want to leave it in the car while I staged) so you'll have to excuse the cell phone pics.

Blue Crab cakes. The crust was perfectly browned, and the crabmeat was barely bothered with breadcrumbs. The sauce underneath was a chipotle aoli (I didn't tell him that it was essentially mayonnaise, another thing he refuses to eat), and it was served with a jicama salad.

It's hard to explain, but Moonen has a way of adding a punch of unexpected flavor, in this case dill. It was assertive, but not overwhelming, and married surprisingly well with the smokey spice of the chipotle. The jicama salad added a nice crunch to the tender cake.


I wanted him to try crab in its simple glory, with nothing but a squeeze of lemon or a splash of butter, because it's my favorite way to eat it.

I had a zen-like experience once on Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco, where I bought a freshly steamed dungeness crab from an outdoor setup by the bay. I put nothing but lemon lemon juice on it, and with a hunk of sourdough bread, it was one of the best, most simply delicious meals I have ever eaten. I remember timidly trying to get the first fork-full out of the shell, not sure where to start, and when that sweet, juicy meat hit my tongue I had an epiphany. I proceeded to tear into that delicious crustacean with a primal vigor, all thoughts of presenting a genteel facade went immediately out the window. It was me, a crab, a lemon, and the sound of the lulling ocean and humming crowds. It was bliss.

Anyway, I had to get him to eat crab like this, and I watched him nervously part the shell (it's a nice restaurant, no wooden hammers here) and dig out a bit of the meat, then delicately dip it into the drawn butter. When he took the bite, his eyes lit up, and I just smiled. Later, I tried to be nice and crack the end of the leg for him, but he immediately said "Stop! ...I want to do it.", then proceeded to tear into it with gusto. He later told me it felt primal... and I just smiled.


I had a lovely piece of Alaskan Halibut with carrots and celery root. Remember how I said Moonen has a way with adding an unexpected punch of flavor? Well, this time it was cardamom, and it was delightful. There was also a playful hint of chervil... a nice dish.


Michael had the best fish and chips ever. Seriously, those chips were addictive. The batter was crunchy and flavorful, and the fish was so moist and flaky... I'm most assuredly going to be back at RM Seafood soon, just to have fish and chips and beer. Awesome plate of food.

Now, he's a seafood convert, and I think he may even try sushi (gasp!) with me soon. I'm really happy he enjoyed it.

I wish I could share amazing food with everyone in this country, to show them how good things could be if only they would try the brilliant flavors to be found all around them. It's an adventure, an exciting experience, to discover new flavors and combinations, to see the myriad ways good ingredients can be prepared and served.

One plate at a time.

Adios.

No comments:

Post a Comment