Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Building up to something great

We finally got our schedule for the PBS filming of Hubert Keller's show, "Secrets of a Chef", and I'm looking forward to working with Chef Keller again, he's a really great guy.

We're doing intensive sessions, 11+ hour days starting on next Tuesday, lasting for two weeks. I'll be getting the set ready and prepping ingredients, and this time I'll probably get to be on the show itself. Cool stuff!

My sommelier classes are going quite well, I really enjoy tasting all the wines, and learning about all the little intricacies that go into making them. After the last class on Sunday, I talked to my father about Sherry for about 45 minutes... he told me of his time in Spain, and knew the best places/situations in which to drink each of the four types, hopefully sometime soon I can follow his advice. We have our first test this Sunday, I'm not really sweating it. I've been doing damn well in the blind tastings thus far.

After the test, we start level two, delving deeper into the regions that the wines are produced, a lot of interesting geography. I'm especially looking forward to learning about the Spanish wines (surprise, surprise), since I have a bit more experience with the French and Italian varietals.

School's going well also, inching ever closer to my Bachelor's degree. My instructor loves my capstone project, a huge relief because a lot of other people had to re-think their entire concept, I don't envy them.

Other than that, I'm leaving Thursday morning to visit my brother and his wife in L.A., they just got two adorable Great Dane puppies that I want to cuddle with. They're food and wine lovers as well, so I should have interesting blog fodder in the next few days.

Adios por ahora!

No comments:

Post a Comment