Friday, May 7, 2010

Tuscia and Montefiascone

Today's first stop was at another cheesemaker's, this time pecorino-romano.

We met these gals (pecoro) and got to do a tasting of the fine cheese made from their tasty milk.

Believe it or not, in this picture I'm doing something that would be illegal in the United States: drinking raw (unpasteurized) milk, sheep milk, to be specific. THE FORBIDDEN MILK!!

Some cheese wheels curing, and the cheesiest smile I could muster.

We had lunch in Tuscia, a beautiful city on a hill. Quite a walk to get up there... but incredible views once you reach the summit. That's roomie Janene photo-bombing me in the background.

The view from Tuscia. Worth any walk.

After Tuscia, we went to a fancy pants lake for some gelato and a castle visit. There were crashing waves... exciting!

This church lies on a site where a "miracle" occurred, the same "miracle" that initiated the building of Orvieto's duomo...

They have catacombs. They're pretty neat, my first catacombs! Wasn't supposed to take pictures, but... eh. Someday it will be okay.

And then the castle, me, at the top, affected by the wind.

Also worth it for the magnificent view. For dinner, we went back to the farmstead trattoria I mentioned in an earlier blog to be showered with home-made goodness. It was another awesome day.

I know this posting is a little abrupt, but tomorrow morning, I leave for Venice, so I need some rest (ha!). After the weekend, I'm sure to have some good pics and stories (hopefully), then the plan is to hit Firenze again on Tuesday with some friends, but we'll see!

Ciao! Buena notte!









No comments:

Post a Comment