Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Firenze... paradiso!

Oh this guy? Yeah, I met him. He's pretty cool, in that "mesmerizingly-beautiful-mind-bogglingly-overwhelming" kind of way.


In all seriousness, he's incredible. He looks as though any moment he will take a slow, cautious step off his marble base, draw the sling from his shoulder, and trepidatiously but bravely stride forward to defeat his mighty foe. Michaelangelo didn't just create art, he discovered an essential element of humanity we never knew we had before, and preserved it for the milennia to gaze in awe. He reached into the depths of the stone and pulled forth the essence of mankind.


David feels alive. Your mind plays little tricks on you, for a moment you think his leg may have twitched. Did he raise an eyebrow? But he stands unmoving, immortal, in brilliant marble.


Bellissimo.

I only went to Firenze this morning to see him. Luckily, it rained, and the line to get the ticket was only about 25 minutes when I arrived in the morning. After, reeling from beholding something so... there's no word for it, any way; I found a place for lunch, and had food that tasted like pure and brilliant art. Above, a selection of rustic Tuscan salumi and some Procuitto di Parma.

Roasted rabbit (coniglio arrosto) stuffed with rosemary, and some contorni (sidedish) of beans (fragole) with tomatoes. The best rabbit, ever. I could eat it every day. The flesh lept of the bones into my mouth and hopped around with juicy goodness. I just drooled a little thinking about it. With ample house wine, of course.

Then they treated me to some VinSanto with biscotti. Contrary to popular belief, biscotti are for dipping into your VinSanto, not your coffee. Also, I love this combination. Could definitely eat every day. Gah, I loved that damn restaurant. I need to go back to Firenze again to see some more art, and to eat more of their delicious, perfect food. As if I needed an excuse...

But tomorrow, homework. Annoio. (That means bored)

Ciao! Dolce Sonia, ragazzi!



No comments:

Post a Comment