Monday, May 24, 2010

Art in many forms.

Sorry about the delay in posting, but I had to spend much of my time on a research paper that ended up being 21 pages once you count references and appendices, and then make a powerpoint of it for presentation. Not fun.


Last Saturday I finally made it to the Vatican, and it was... beyond description. I love, love, LOVE art, and the collections in their museums are absolutely priceless. Add to that the Sistine Chapel... wow. Michaelangelo showed me the true meaning of 'masterpiece'.

St. Peter's Basilica.

Wenzel Peter's "the Garden of Eden".

My man Dali is there too!

I did fortunately, find time to eat, after realizing in a panic "there's restaurants in Orvieto I haven't tried yet!!!" Sunday night I went Trattoria del Moro. Great, great food. I was lucky to get in, they're usually booked solid every night, but I came early and waited, so they found me a spot. Above is rolled pasta 'roses' filled with mozzarella and local honey, so awesome!

Tagliata (sliced beef) with a PILE of truffle sauce, and shaved truffles, and some grilled veggies on the side. The aroma... beyond me!

Of course, tiramisu, espresso, wine!

Monday night: La Volpe e L'uva ("The Fox and the Grape") run by a nice old grandma. This is simple crostini with fresh ash-rhind goat cheese and truffle sauce. I could eat this every day, seriously.

The typical pasta of Umbria, umbrichelli, with... truffles. Also very, very yum.

And a hearty, rustic stew of wild boar with red wine, cherries, and rosemary.

And a lemon and almond torta. Yum time!

Tonight, heading to another local restaurant to school myself in Umbrian cuisine, my favorite regional cuisine- it's the truffles! They get me, every time...

Arrivaderci!









No comments:

Post a Comment