Monday, January 10, 2011

A quick note about Jeni's Ice Cream


The best ice cream ever comes from Columbus, Ohio. It's made by Jeni's Splendid ice creams, and it's hauntingly good. They use local, seasonal ingredients and fresh cream from an Ohio dairy. The Short North location is pictured above, although the picture's from earlier this year. (I promise the weather is nowhere near this amicable currently)

I try to visit the place at least a couple times whenever I happen to be in Ohio, and this past trip I had opportunity to try quite a few new things. Normally, I'm not too super excited about ice cream. Though it's usually pretty tasty, I just never really feel the urge to eat it. But Jeni's is an entirely different story. The flavors are so complex and balanced, and they have sophisticated, yet friendly flavor combinations that are always pretty exciting.


Michael's favorite flavor is the lavender and wild berries.


A fantastic sundae "One Night in Bangkok": spicy Thai peanut ice cream, salted caramel sauce, banana, cilantro and whipped cream.


The simple looking sundae that I wish I was eating right now; salted caramel ice cream, honey Vin Santo sauce, almond biscotti, and a liquor-soaked cherry.


And an addictive frozen sandwich; blackstrap praline ice cream encased in gingersnap macaron-style cookies.

It's not pictured, but the sweet potato with torched marshmallow may have been the greatest ice cream flavor in the history of time.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, Jeni's ice creams are fabulous! Love their unusual flavor combinations. I usually get a sampler of three whenever I'm in Columbus. But after reading this, I may have to try a sundae or sandwich.

    ReplyDelete