Monday, December 6, 2010

A rehash of the week

This past week was a bit strange for me, and I apologize for not updating sooner. But between final exams, my grandfather's passing, and a last-minute trip to Ohio, I haven't been able to muster up any creative words.

So, this shall be a quick recap of "Last Week in Food", and then I'll get back into my normal blogging schedule. Being done with a 20 page research paper on the history and impact of French cuisine is also freeing up a lot of time.

Last Wednesday, as a kind of belated Basque Stage victory dinner, Michael and I went back to RM Seafood for another go at some tasty fish. This time, he agreed to try sushi, another big win. Above is a spicy roll with crab, yellowtail, and tuna, with some kickin' spicy Sriracha mayo. After this dinner, boyfriend declared "from now on, if you say it tastes good, I'll try it.", which opens him up to a beautiful world of organ meats and raw fish. ~Sniff~ I'm so proud!


He also really enjoyed this beautiful duo of tuna, tartar and lightly seared, with ponzu and cucumber. This was really a nice execution- I liked how both versions of tuna were fused into this dish, really making the fantastic texture of the fish the focal point.


On Thursday evening, I flew into Ohio to be with my family. Friday night, my father, mother, Isis and I went out for sushi in Columbus,. I enjoyed the tempura soft shell crab, and a nice selection of nigiri. (Any kind of fried seafood + lemon = awesome)


My brother arrived later on Friday night, and we snacked and had some beers at Tip Top, on Gay street in downtown Columbus. The bar is Ohio-themed, and features Midwestern fare, stuff like these crispy, sweet-spicy corn fritters, that went really well with the great list of micro-brew beers at excellent prices.


After the service on Saturday, a big group of about 15 of us went to Cap City fine dining on Olentangy River Road. It was great to have so many family members around the table, I had the most incredible time. And I'm also now very impressed by my family's ability to hold their liquor...

Anyway, the pecan crusted pork chops were excellent, very moist and with a satisfying, nutty crunch. I also enjoyed a Rouge Dead Guy Ale (micro brews are a ridiculous value in Columbus- $4.50? That beer would be at LEAST $7-$12 out here) and ahem, a delicious wave of hot buttered rums.

I wish I could have seen my family under happier circumstances, but I'm glad I got to spend time with them regardless. So many people congratulated me on Basque Stage... they're all really proud. I got to hear some really amazing stories about my grandparents from my aunts and uncles, and I think I've convinced them to start putting some of these stories together so we can keep them for future generations. My grandparents- and by extension their children- really lived and experienced some extraordinary things, and their spirit of restlessness, adventure, and family has really shaped who I am today. My grandparents are both very missed, and they both made a big impact on many people's lives, far more than they would ever have guessed.

I hope to carry on with their spirit of adventure, and I know they would have been really proud of me. Every time I do something that I'm proud of, my grandmother is the first person to flash into my head, she really believed in me and what I'm doing, and several people have told me that towards the end, she loved to talk about my cooking and how excited she was for me. Whenever I have a moment's doubt, the thought of her forces me to push through and really strive.

Well, now I'm teary-eyed again. Tonight, I have to make a quick appearance at class, then we're going to dinner, something nice. I'm going to attempt to get reservations at Julian Serrano in Aria... my sommelier instructor highly recommended their tapas and paella...

Adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment