Friday, December 31, 2010

The heartland

I'm finally unpacked and settled back into Vegas from my visit to Ohio. It was an excellent time; I got to see good friends and family, dine at interesting places, drink to excess, and eat a lot of amazing ice cream. It was also really, really cold.

I got to cook with and for my family, which I really loved doing. I also tried to mindfully absorb culinary ideas that are uniquely "Columbus" to me. The food scene in the city is getting interesting, there were a plethora of new restaurants to try on this visit. Tomorrow I'll organize some more pictures and report back on the highlights of our eating adventures.

I was pretty happy with the Christmas day menu I prepared for my family; I believe they enjoyed eating it as well. My mother made her incredibly addictive bread rolls and some cookies, and Michael pitched in as Sous for the day.


Baked French Brie with caramelized onions, we served it with a ruby Port reduction.



The goose was free-range and organic from the North Market. I stuffed it with lemon, thyme, and some of the trimmed fat, then scored the skin and roasted it. I used the heart, trimmings, and gizzards to flavor a rich gravy. The skin was incredibly crispy and delicious.



Golden potato puree, loaded with butter.



And Brussels sprouts with hazelnuts and apple wood smoked bacon.

Cooking for people you love is always a huge pleasure, and I really enjoyed spending the day with my parents and everyone else preparing this meal.

By the time I post this, it will be 2011, so happy new year, everyone. This past year has been unbelievable for me, and with my upcoming voyage to Spain, 2011 in looking pretty awesome as well. I'm really, really excited about it.

Adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment